From ghetto to global power

KATIE WHITAKER Nov 11 2011 00:00
I'm a mixture between Zulu and Sotho and I feel strongly about culture. In fact, I feel upset when our traditions get insulted. I go to my elders and we speak about my culture. I do ­certain cultural practices, because that defines who you are. If you don't know who you are, you will never, ever know yourself.

I listen to kwaito; I love our local content. I love house music, especially if it's locally produced. I'm a big hip-hop fan, whether it's local or international, and a local band that stands out for me is Big Nuz. Right now I am playing my own artist, Hydro. He is a hip-hop artist and has new music for me every week, because we are recording his CD.

I am on a diet now, but the food I eat the most is chicken. I can eat Nando's every day. I also love tripe and dumplings; I think that is my favourite. But I am eating healthy now -- skinless chicken breasts, ­vegetables and fruits.

My favourite art piece is the Mona Lisa. I went to the Louvre to see it. It was amazing. It looks like life -- she's looking at you as you're going! Unfortunately, I cannot have the original picture, so why buy something else? But I prefer my art to be personal. I have a drawing of myself done by one of the inmates from when I was in prison; that's the art I prefer.

All about inspiration
I'm an entertainer and first and foremost I wanted to entertain people with my reality show,So What. Second, I wanted to show young people who Kenny Kunene is -- ­everything that happens in the show is real. I also wanted to inspire the youth, to give them something to work towards.

I'm inspired by those former prisoners who come out of prison and turn their back on crime. I am inspired by those young people who come from nothing and make a change. I hope that I can have a role in this. God has blessed me to bless them, to help send the message that you were born in the ghetto but the ghetto wasn't born in you and you can get out of it.

The great leaders who overcame imperialism and colonialism inspire me: your Robert Mugabes, your Sam Nujomas, your Fidel Castros, your Muammar Gaddafis.

My grandmother also affected me deeply; she built a house for us by picking up bricks and stones. I am amazed by her sacrifices for me: no electricity, no fridge and no ­television -- all to save for university for me. She is the biggest inspiration in my life.

In the 1980s I was always inspired by the "long walk to freedom" -- the books that were banned.

CONTINUES BELOW


Now I get my inspiration from The Choice: The Gayton McKenzie Story by Charles Cilliers. At the moment I am reading Jay-Z's Decoded. I feel that he is talking about my life, so maybe it's true that gangsters think alike anywhere in the world.

I recently won two categories at the Feather Awards: fag hag of the year and the cutest couple of the year with Gayton. I'm truly happy that the gay community recognises that I accept and embrace them and that I don't judge them. But what is most humbling is that the gay ­community is the first group -- not ­individuals but group -- to celebrate and embrace the brotherhood between Gayton and myself.

My goal for the future is to be one of the most powerful people in the world. I would love to be that type of a guy that has global presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...